Friday, March 18, 2011

Fiyah

For Every Action There's No Reaction


So, I've been dating a guy since October.  Usually, and I'm not sure if we could chalk it up to my youth, I fall in love with someone quickly.  I mean give it 3-6 months, and the love-bug bites me hard and I'm smitten.  I'm not in love with him, I hardly even like him actually.  It's been five months, and I don't even like him!  So why stick around?  Maybe because he's very attractive, could be because he has his life together, perhaps I am just hanging on hope like I have done so many times before.  I know we aren't compatible, yet I stick around.

Recently, check below, I went on a date.  I am very verbal and honest, so I told... let's call him October, I told October that I would be going out with a guy.  His reaction?  He smiled!  He smiled and said, "that's good for you!  He's going to be a nice guy and a perfect gentleman."  What?  He then went on to ask if I would be going to my date's house or if my date would be coming to mine for a nightcap.  WHAT?!?!  His reaction to me, was disheartening.  It hurt that he didn't give a hoot about me dating another guy.  Listen to me, I don't actually like the guy, but I feel down that he could care less... or rather was enthusiastic about it!  I said, "You don't care that another dude is gonna take your place."  And he responded with, "Of course, but I'm not going anywhere. You like me too much."

He's wrong.  I used to stay around in unsavory relationships 'just because'.  Hell no!  I am way too ready for happiness to stick around with a guy who is half-assed and gets more excited about me going on dates than I am.  His non-reaction was that extra cue that I needed to finalize the fact that we don't really like each other and were just living in the moment.  Deuces to October: The Non-Reactor.

2 comments:

  1. "It could all be so simple" (in the famous words of Lauryn Hill). Why did you stay if you had no real feelings Fiyah?? Well I guess I cant talk cause I spent 3 yrs of a 5 yr relationship "stuck" because of the history and investment. I am not the type to be single I was in my first relationship from 99-03 and then my next relationship was 03-current with my husband who is my best friend in the world. I dated ALOT during the last 3 years of my first relationship and even met my future husband while in my first relationship so I guess its not so simple after all. And I def. agree, no reaction means he was not in it for the long hull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, like my partner Water spoke about. Perhaps I'm enamored by the lifestyle I could live if we were together. If you had the answers, I would be eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete