Monday, March 14, 2011

Fiyah

My First Card

So I did it.  I flipped the card, liked what I saw, and we planned our first date.  If you're confused, read the last Fiyah post. Of course, this was a nerve-wrecking situation, especially for a woman.  All of the typical symptoms of the first date that my partner Water described were all there.  The jitters, the questions, the attention to detail that I wanted to seem effortless, it was all there.  I think I'll give a little of the before, during, and after.

Before:

I shopped.  I went to the mall and found "the perfect outfit" for my date, which I initially thought would be a brunch.  Some black pants, a sexy, flowing casual top, and some black booties to round out the fit.  Luckily, my hair was already done, so I didn't have to sit in a salon for hours.  I did, however, get a mani/pedi... which I would have gotten regardless.  The date was switched to a dinner, which luckily gave me time for my relaxing mani/pedi.  I needed relaxation... I was hella nervous!  Every time I thought about my date, my stomach did back flips and cartwheels.  I obviously liked him enough to plan a date... but chemistry on the phone is 100% different than chemistry in person.  My friend came over to hang out with me while I got ready, and we jokingly spoke about the Craigslist killer.  Let's face it... this guy could have been pretending to be someone he's not... but I'll spill those details in the during.  Since we changed the time of day, I decided to change my outfit to be a bit "night appropriate"... it was successful.  Then it happened... he called and said, "I'm outside..."

During:

He was late. I, surprisingly, needed the extra hour to get ready, so I was glad he was late.  He didn't keep me in the dark, and told me he would be late way before he was late, so I was content.  When I first saw his face, I was pleased.  He's definitely my type.  His height, his casual style, the way he speaks, and the fact that I wouldn't be embarrassed with him in public? Thumbs up.  I got the feeling, however, that he didn't feel the same.  He seemed distant... as if he wanted to be somewhere else.  He was a gentleman (pulled out my chair, opened the door) but I thought that he would have rather be on some couch watching Man v Food as opposed to being around a steaming hibachi grill with a birthday boy and his family, a lovey-dovey couple, and yours truly. He warmed up to me, how could he not? I mean, I am Fiyah.   I was, however, nervous that he wouldn't.  I loved the dynamics between us, once he began to seem interested.  We ate, had a cool time, and even spoke about a second date.

After:

I couldn't fall asleep!  I'm a total dork.  I lay in bed, and thought about the details of the date.  I definitely went to bed with a smile on my face.  The conclusion?  I liked my first card flip... a lot.  On a scale from 1-10, I would give my date an 8.  A kiss goodnight would have probably bumped it up, but we'll save that for date #2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment