Thursday, July 19, 2012

Waiting in Vain Part I

He is now in my phone under the listing “Run, Run”. I should have ran instead of waiting in vain for this one.

I met him at a club. No story ever ends well when you start it with that sentence; yet I do it anyway.  I go to clubs, I meet people, and I expect to find someone normal there. Now when I say club, it’s also bars, lounges etcetera.  I went to a reggae night.  I love all music but I love to dance to reggae music. Something about it just takes over me and my body.  Everyone who knows me is often surprised when they see me dancing to reggae music. Any other time in my life, I’m pretty uncoordinated.  Anyway, I saw him first.  He was standing there, clearly enjoying the music but not dancing with anyone.  In between wining my hips and waist in a suggestive manner (by myself because I don’t like to get too hot and sweaty) I watched him.  I watched him for a while.  

   He was chamomile tea personified. Smooth, relaxing and looks that made your soul feel good. What made me notice him was his hair. It was natural and not quite an afro, but out. It was styled like Bob Marley photos before he grew his full dread locks.   His hair looked like it felt like cashmere and it was beautiful.  His skin was flawless- smooth and almond-like. He looked as if his face never had a blemish nor did he know what they were. He didn’t even look like he ever had any more facial hair aside from the neat 5 o’clock shadow. He was tall and built like a runner and though he did not say a word I knew he was native of the West Indies.    I needed him to talk to me to confirm that he had a sexy accent. As usual, for the night, I was in love. Any woman would be.   

   I finally could not take him standing there looking so sexy and not talking to me. Normally I am seriously shy especially when a man looks that good. So I thought of the most obvious thing to start with. Hello. He said hello and I asked him why he wasn’t dancing. He asked me the same. He was bright, charming and  he had the accent (deep sigh).  We sat and talked. It all seemed lovely at the time. He told me his name and I told him mine.  I began to interrogate him but he shut that down. He began to ask me all the questions. I liked it. He asked me where I worked and then made a joke that he was one of my agencies clients. He said to me that it was clear that I had been with a Jamaican before. I told him no however, I have dated a Guyanese a Trini and…….. that’s where he interrupted me.

He said he did not want to hear about my past as I could possibly be his wife one day and he did not want to hold my past against me. I responded that I did not really do many things that I’m ashamed of. He said that I seemed like a very smart girl and I knew that it would not last yet, I slept with them. I said hmm. In my head, I know he was right. I went on to tell him.  I didn’t always, that’s just how it turned out.  He gave me the side eye and said I should only sleep with my husband.

 
  I really don’t remember much else.  I just remember being intrigued, especially by his comment.  The rest of the conversation was mere background noise because while I was mid-sentence he kissed me. I melted. I remember undressing him with my eyes and if I had a little less self control, I would be on my back in the clubs bathroom- true story.  

We continued to stare one another down; there was something I can only describe as kismet between us that night. He asked me to go home with him. I said no. It was a bad idea and after he told me about holding my past against me, I did not want to start our history this way- just in case.


Stay Tuned ……….

No comments:

Post a Comment