Monday, April 11, 2011

(Water) Side Line vs. Main Line


Today I was thinking about my past . In a very general way though, despite my many depths and intellectual complexities , men are always in the equation.  I remember him. Tall dark and handsome ; well maybe not so handsome BUT handsome enough . His front two teeth were chipped . They looked as though someone carved out a jagged equal lateral  triangle out of them . He was sweet, we spoke daily and he treated me like a lady . Took me to dinner and movies. Made me laugh and smile . Not to mention he had an accent . I love a man with an accent . I'm sure I've mentioned that before . Anyway , I was in heaven because until that point he was all things amazing in my mind .

UNTIL.............
I got the rudest wake up call. I went to see him and I stayed over. Now , I really should've seen the signs but I  was new to the elements of dating however , I was still an adult. His phone kept ringing . I told him to answer it. He didn't . Boy oh boy . Looking back , if he had nothing to hide he would have answered , but we were laying down and getting ready to go to sleep . The next morning , we got up and he made me breakfast . it was good too- The breakfast . Then a movie was on television . He kept going downstairs and I was none the wiser . If I'm fed and I am in front of the TV , nothing else exists. Then  he went downstairs one last time and I heard a large boom. Then I heard voices at first not distinct . Then I heard ..."you are in here cheating on my friend " .

I looked down at myself in confusion . I thought , " he's not cheating on me , I'm right here . " I can be simple at times. My mind finally caught on when I heard a woman utter my name , age, and for me to come out. I was shocked . I was Confused . I was ANGRY . How could he do this? One thing about water is once water feels crossed , there is no mending that relationship and I just don't roll with self serving liars. Things happen sometimes . If you have to lie , lie for the greater good, but his lies were just selfish. That is definitely a no no in my book .

    So after I heard my name , I came out . I was not the one with something to hide . I saw her yelling , screaming and reaching up the stairs into his attic apartment past my alleged boyfriend to get to me . She immediately came looking for a fight . When she saw me younger and thinner  than her . I saw the rage and desperation in her eyes . She said , "I'm not leaving him " I said I didn't know and I was sorry.  She wasn't leaving, but I sure was. Her friend and her were calling me all types of sluts and whores . She proceeded to call him her fiancĂ© and stated she was pregnant . I was mortified but for kicks I looked at her hands ...there was no ring . I   just wanted to go home . I had no thought in my mind that I would be with him . I didn't want to talk to him .I didn't want to see him. I was disgusted . I thought that was why he had to buy condoms . He didn't have any because THEY didn't use them. I thought , were there others ? He could have something . What if the condom didn't work and I contracted something ?  YUCK.

I thought about her. Why did she project her  anger on me. How could she know about me and I knew nothing about her? Why was she so ready to fight me? How could she look at me in his home and still say,  " I'm not leaving" .. He was no NBA player , fortune 500 company owner or even fly . Moreover ,  I didn't cheat on you ....he did . But sadly,  in the 5 years on earth she had on me , she hadn't learned what I knew.  No one has an obligation to you but the person you are with and if he did it once in  such a disrespectful manner, and you allow it , he will do it again . He not only cheated physically . He cheated emotionally . Which is worse in my book . Whether I knew or not ...which in this case I didn't. He was the one that decided it was ok to cheat . Not me .

   It  took a long time for me to trust again after that . Sometimes , I still don't .  Who am I kidding, I dont all the time. I do laugh because that situation was something out of a daytime TV soap opera . At the same time it still hurts that I was used in that manner and when I thought I was his main line , in all actuality , I was really just the side line .

1 comment:

  1. Cheated on my ex with his best friend to send him a message once and fo all that I was DONE! I tried breaking up with him toward the end of the relationship but the good ole "history" kept me there and I was over it, over him and over myself for letting it continue. I wanted out so I agreed to sleep with his really hot best friend, he found out, came to the house, cops were called and I was so wasted I dont remember ANYTHING about that night really except that I was alone in a hospital bed the next day from being too intoxicated. I could have been a big girl and just walked away from the relationship but in some ways I look back on it and realize that actually never expected my ex to leave me, I never expected him to even find out. I just wanted to cheat and in my own twisted way I thought I could have my anchor and buoy in the water waiting. Needless to say I was a cheater but in the grand scheme of things I just did not care. My ex took me back and I was happy about that but I continued to cheat anyway..I just got better at it. Now I could NEVER see myself cheatin on my husband EVER! I really think TRUE LOVE is more powerful than ANYTHING so homeboy is just playing the game and loving the drama. Maybe she is the perpetual sideline benchwarmer who is always happy when he puts her in the game but you were one of his star players and thats why she resented you as opposed to him. Hmmm??

    ReplyDelete